Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Plastique.

Do not be afraid to die. You will not be gone and I will not forget you. I know that it seems like such a terrible thing, but let me explain it to you. When you understand things, they never seem so scary, don't you know that?

When you die it is because your body has become too tired to go on living. When you die your body sleeps. But when your body sleeps do you stop existing? You dream don't you? You don't need your body to dream.

When you die your body stays on Earth. We bury it in the ground. It rots and becomes dirt. In this dirt seeds take root. They absorb the atoms that were once your body, and they grow into trees or flowers. Maybe your body will become a tree and I will hang a swing from it and think of you. Maybe your body will become and flower and I will smell it and think of being in love with you. Then this plant will die, and the cycle begins again. Or this plant is eaten, and becomes a part of the creature that ate it, who will also eventually die.

Don't you see then, that you are only made up of those who lived before you, and that they were only made up of those who lived before them? And all of the atoms were formed in stars. We were all born in stars.

Earth is just a big rock hurtling through space at unimaginable speed and the whole time we are living and dying, the same bodies in different shapes, over and over again, not feeling our movement through space.

We you die I will not stop loving you. That would mean for me to stop loving the fields or the birds. When you die you will become them. And you will be able to visit me whenever you want.

No comments: