Tuesday, January 20, 2009

I don't like to finish jars of jam, because when I reach in with the knife my hand touches the sides and gets sticky.

Someone who is sailing on a big ship, all alone, and they can’t find land. That’s how I feel sometimes. Like I am trying to navigate a craft that’s way to big for just me, and that all I can see around me is emptiness and I’m never going to reach a place where I can rest and stop searching. So I have to keep going, all alone on this ship, and I’m trying to steer and keep the sails full and it’s too much at once, and there are huge waves smashing against the sides of the ship, and it’s tilting from side to side and trying to throw me off, but I can keep on going; just barely, for one more minute, two more minutes, but eventually I will run out of those minutes and a wave that is much too big will come and tip the ship over and it will capsize and I will drown. Or I won’t be able to keep the sails full, or maybe the wind will stop, and I will just be adrift forever.

No comments: