Monday, June 15, 2009

Have you ever gone for a walk and thought "there's nothing stopping me from walking away from my whole life right now" ? And even though you don't think it seriously at first, you walk on and you play movies in your head. "Where would I sleep?" "How would I eat?" "I could meet completely new people." Eventually you realize, this would be an adventure, and only good could come of it. So you convince yourself that you're going to do it. You begin to coach yourself. "I'm going to do this." "There is nothing to be scared of." "I don't need any thing to feel happy." And you get further and further away from your old home. Now you are walking along a street you've never seen before. "It doesn't matter. I'll end up somewhere new and cool." But then doubt-thoughts start to jump around in your brain. "Just keep going." "One foot in front of the other." "I've come too far to go back now." And soon enough, you stop. You stop walking and you turn around and look back at the way you came. "I don't want to go back." "A new life could only be better." And so on. Maybe you will stand like this for five minutes. Maybe you will stand like this for an hour. Either way, you won't turn back around and keep walking. You'll go home to your own room and your warm bed.

No comments: